Online Teacher Certification Guide
At iteach, our goal is to make teacher certification as simple as possible for you. There are a number of steps that you have to take in order to get your certification, but with this guide, we hope to simplify the process on your journey to success. Enter your name and email to get the guide immediately.
Download Texas Guide
Texas Online Teacher
Each state has unique requirements for teacher certification. At iteach, we assist our students in meeting the requirements for their state and prepare them to excel in the classroom.
Who Can Do It
If you have a bachelor’s degree and a passion for teaching, alternative teacher certification may be for you.
iteach’s innovative online format allows you to complete coursework anytime, anywhere, as long as you have an internet connection.
Candidates can defer payment for the program until after completion and start paying when they are hired as a teacher. Getting started is simple and affordable.
How Our Teacher Certification Process Works
Every student needs a great teacher. You can be that great teacher, and we can help. Apply for free at any time and begin when you are ready. Within a few weeks from enrollment, you can be in the classroom teaching.
Ready to Get Started?
Begin your overview course now while you investigate teaching and prepare your application. When you are ready to enroll, submit your official transcripts. Within 3 days you will be notified of your acceptance into the program. Once accepted you can enroll in the instructional courses immediately. The full breakdown of the teacher certification process is below.
Start the Teacher Certification Process
Begin working on our “Professional Learning and the Path to Certification” course while you assemble your application. This is the first step in the teacher certification process.
- Anyone can complete our first course, which provides an in-depth overview of teacher certification and includes a host of additional resources for prospective teachers. If you are interested in teaching, this course is a great way to explore the field and decide if a career as a teacher is right for you.
- Work on this overview course while you prepare your online application.
- Our online courses are designed to prepare anyone to be an excellent teacher. They are self-paced, do not require scheduled class meetings, and you can get started today.
- Start the iteach overview course and begin your application for the iteach Teacher Certification program, at no cost. You will gain immediate access to your first training course upon application.
Texas Teacher Certification Training
Training with iteachTEXAS begins immediately upon completing the free application and start the overview course, 5000. Once you enroll, complete the following online, competency-based courses at your own pace.
- 5100 – Learning Environments
- 5200 – Learner Development
- 5300 – Planning Instruction and Assessments
- 5400 – Literacy and 21st Century Instruction
- 5500 – Learner Differences and Special Needs
- 5600 – Diverse Populations, English Language Learners and Bilingual Students
- 5800 – Comprehensive Program Review
Within the iteachTEXAS course curriculum, educators will demonstrate the ability to integrate technology effectively into curricula and instruction (TEPC 5300 – Planning for Instruction and Assessment, TEPC 5400 – Literacy, 21st Century Instruction, and Pedagogical Content Knowledge). The educator will also demonstrate effective use of technology to collect, manage, and analyze data to improve teaching and learning for the purpose of increasing student academic achievement (TEPC 5700 – Your Field Experience).
You will complete a one-year (two semester) paid residency during which time you are employed full time as a teacher in your content field. In this position, you receive the salary and benefits of a first-year teacher.
Complete course 5700, a residency-specific course, during your first year in the classroom.
HOW TO PREPARE FOR RESIDENCY
You must secure your own internship position through the district application/interview process. Prior to interviewing, you are required to be enrolled into the iteachTEXAS Educator Preparation Program with EDTC 5300 completed, 30 hours of observation logged, and a content area exam passed.
You may obtain a job placement in any public, charter or TEA recognized private school.
SUPERVISION DURING RESIDENCY
During the residency, you will be assigned an iteachTEXAS field supervisor who will make periodic classroom visits and work closely with the campus administration to ensure a successful teaching experience for you.
CLINICAL TEACHING OPTION
Some iteachTEXAS candidates elect to complete their field experience through a clinical teaching placement. This is an unpaid option similar to “student teaching.” The advantage of a clinical teaching placement is that it allows you to earn your Standard Teaching Certificate in as little as six months.
iteachTEXAS offers a 14-week, five-day-a-week, full-day clinical teaching option. Our statewide clinical program, which has limited enrollment period in the spring semester, is designed to provide a placement based on content areas in which you have demonstrated mastery. You must understand that during the clinical teaching time you are under the direction of the classroom cooperating teacher. Failure to follow the directions and guidance of the cooperating teacher will result in release from the program.
Clinical placement is secured by iteach on your behalf. You should not contact a school district directly to request a clinical placement.
iteachTEXAS Teacher Certification Areas
- Agriculture, Food & Natural Resources (Grades 6-12)
- American Sign Language (Grades EC-12)
- Art (Grades EC-12)
- Business and Finance (Grades 6-12)
- Chemistry (Grades 7-12)
- Computer Science: (Grades 8-12)
- Core Subjects (Grades 4-8)
- Core Subjects (Grades EC-6)
- Dance (Grades 6-12)
- Deaf and Hard of Hearing (Grades EC-12)
- English Language Arts and Reading (Grades 4-8)
- English Language Arts and Reading (Grades 7-12)
- English Language Arts and Reading/Social Studies (Grades 4-8)
- Family and Consumer Sciences (Grades 6-12)
- Health (Grades EC-12)
- Health Science (Grades 6-12)
- History (Grades 7-12)
- Hospitality, Nutrition and Food Sciences (Grades 8-12)
- Human Development and Family Studies (Grades 8-12)
- Journalism (Grades 7-12)
- Languages Other Than English – French (Grades EC-12)
- Languages Other Than English – Mandarin Chinese (Grades EC-12)
- Languages Other Than English – Spanish (Grades EC-12)
- Life Science (Grades 7-12)
- Marketing (Grades 6-12)
- Mathematics (Grades 4-8)
- Mathematics (Grades 7-12)
- Mathematics/Physical Science/Engineering (Grades 6-12)
- Mathematics/Science (Grades 4-8)
- Music (Grades EC-12)
- Physical Education (Grades EC-12)
- Physical Science (Grades 6-12)
- Physical Science/Mathematics/Engineering (Grades 8-12)
- Physics/Mathematics (Grades 7-12)
- Reserve Officer Training Corps (ROTC) (Grades 6-12)
- Science (Grades 4-8)
- Science (Grades 7-12)
- Social Studies (Grades 4-8)
- Social Studies (Grades 7-12)
- Special Education (Grades EC-12)
- Speech (Grades 7-12)
- Technology Applications: (Grades EC-12)
- Technology Education (Grades 6-12)
- Theatre (Grades EC-12)
- Trade and Industrial Education (Grades 6-12)
Pick Your Payment Plan!
With two payment plan options, you choose the plan that best fits your budget.
We have partnered with 240 Tutoring ($480 Value) and the Teaching Channel ($120 value) so you have access to both resources as part of your iteach payment plan for teacher certification! (Not available with the deferred plan.)
iteach has partnered with universities and other organizations to bring more value to our students. Click on the logos to learn more about Chaminade University, Grand Canyon University, and American College of Education.