Texas Teacher Certification in Three Simple Steps
Our alternative teacher certification program allows you to complete your coursework on your own schedule at an affordable price. Join over 17,000 teachers who have earned their certification following these three simple steps.
Texas Teacher Certification Guide
At iteach, we make sure the certification process is as simple as possible. Our success guide will walk you through everything you need to know to begin your new teaching career, including:
- Identifying a content area
- Alternative teacher certification vs. traditional certification
- What to do after submitting your application
- Requirements and certification timeline
- Resources to help you along the way and more!
Enter your name and email to get the guide delivered to your inbox.
Download Texas Success Guide
Ready to Get Started?
Review program admissions requirements and apply online. It is free to apply and, once all of your materials are submitted, we’ll let you know if you are accepted within three to five business days.
Start the Teacher Certification Process
- Apply online – it only takes a few minutes and it is free!
- To get accepted into our program, you need a bachelor’s degree and we need your transcripts. Email your official transcripts to email@example.com or mail official copies to PO Box 1626 Denton, Texas 76202. If you don’t have your transcripts, visit your college or university website and request transcripts from your school’s registrar.
- Our online courses are self-paced and do not require scheduled class meetings
Texas Teacher Certification Training
Training with iteach Texas begins immediately upon completing the free application and start the introduction course, 5000.01. Once you enroll, complete the following online, competency-based courses at your own pace.
- TCTX 5000.02 – An Overview
- TCTX 5100 – Learning Environments
- TCTX 5200 – Learner Development
- TCTX 5300 – Planning Instruction and Assessments
- TCTX 5400 – Literacy and 21st Century Instruction
- TCTX 5500 – Learner Differences and Special Needs
- TCTX 5600 – Diverse Populations, English Language Learners and Bilingual Students
- TCTX 5800 – Comprehensive Program Review
Within the iteach Texas course curriculum, educators will demonstrate the ability to integrate technology effectively into curricula and instruction (TEPC 5300 – Planning for Instruction and Assessment, TCTX 5400 – Literacy, 21st Century Instruction, and Pedagogical Content Knowledge). The educator will also demonstrate effective use of technology to collect, manage, and analyze data to improve teaching and learning for the purpose of increasing student academic achievement (TCTX 5700 – Your Field Experience).
You will complete a one-year (two semester) paid residency during which time you are employed full time as a teacher in your content field. In this position, you receive the salary and benefits of a first-year teacher.
Complete course TCTX 5700, a residency-specific course, during your first year in the classroom.
How to Prepare for Residency
You must secure your own internship position through the district application/interview process. Prior to interviewing, you are required to be enrolled into the iteach Texas Educator Preparation Program with TCTX 5300 completed, 30 hours of observation logged, and content test(s) passed.
You may obtain a job placement in any public, charter or TEA recognized private school.
Supervision During Residency
During the residency, you will be assigned an iteach Texas field supervisor who will make periodic classroom visits and work closely with the campus administration to ensure a successful teaching experience for you.
Clinical Teaching Option
Some iteach candidates in Texas elect to complete their field experience through a clinical teaching placement. This is an unpaid option similar to “student teaching.” The advantage of a clinical teaching placement is that it allows you to earn your Standard Teaching Certificate in as little as six months.
iteach Texas offers a 14-week, five-day-a-week, full-day clinical teaching option. Our statewide clinical program, which has limited enrollment period in the spring semester, is designed to provide a placement based on content areas in which you have demonstrated mastery. You must understand that during the clinical teaching time you are under the direction of the classroom cooperating teacher. Failure to follow the directions and guidance of the cooperating teacher will result in release from the program.
Clinical placement is secured by iteach on your behalf. You should not contact a school district directly to request a clinical placement.
iteach Texas Teacher Certification Areas
- Agriculture, Food & Natural Resources (Grades 6-12)
- American Sign Language (Grades EC-12)
- Art (Grades EC-12)
- Business and Finance (Grades 6-12)
- Bilingual Supplemental (EC-12)
- Chemistry (Grades 7-12)
- Computer Science: (Grades 8-12)
- Core Subjects (Grades 4-8)
- Core Subjects (Grades EC-6)
- Dance (Grades 6-12)
- Deaf and Hard of Hearing (Grades EC-12)
- English Language Arts and Reading (Grades 4-8)
- English Language Arts and Reading (Grades 7-12)
- English Language Arts and Reading/Social Studies (Grades 4-8)
- ESL Supplemental BTLPT (EC-12)
- Family and Consumer Sciences (Grades 6-12)
- Health (Grades EC-12)
- Health Science (Grades 6-12)
- History (Grades 7-12)
- Hospitality, Nutrition and Food Sciences (Grades 8-12)
- Human Development and Family Studies (Grades 8-12)
- Journalism (Grades 7-12)
- Languages Other Than English – French (Grades EC-12)
- Languages Other Than English – German (Grades EC-12)
- Languages Other Than English – Mandarin Chinese (Grades EC-12)
- Languages Other Than English – Spanish (Grades EC-12)
- Life Science (Grades 7-12)
- Marketing (Grades 6-12)
- Mathematics (Grades 4-8)
- Mathematics (Grades 7-12)
- Mathematics/Physical Science/Engineering (Grades 6-12)
- Mathematics/Science (Grades 4-8)
- Music (Grades EC-12)
- Physical Education (Grades EC-12)
- Physical Science (Grades 6-12)
- Physical Science/Mathematics/Engineering (Grades 8-12)
- Physics/Mathematics (Grades 7-12)
- Reserve Officer Training Corps (ROTC) (Grades 6-12)
- Science (Grades 4-8)
- Science (Grades 7-12)
- Social Studies (Grades 4-8)
- Social Studies (Grades 7-12)
- Special Education (Grades EC-12)
- Speech (Grades 7-12)
- Technology Applications: (Grades EC-12)
- Technology Education (Grades 6-12)
- Theatre (Grades EC-12)
- Trade and Industrial Education (Grades 6-12)
Submit Your Transcripts
Please email secure official electronic transcripts that have been verified to firstname.lastname@example.org. This is the preferred method and most efficient.
If your school does not provide electronic transcripts you may mail official transcripts to PO Box 1626 Denton, Texas 76202.
Your school may use a third party service to provide official electronic transcripts to us.
What People Are Saying…
Libby, a high school teacher from Texas, talks with ABC News about how iteach gave her the chance to transition from a career in performing arts to achieving her dream of teaching dance.
“If I had decided to go back to a college for education, it would have taken me years to finish with multiple student loans and thousands of dollars. iteach was an affordable way to get into the classroom. I love being a teacher. If anyone has ever considered being a teacher, this is a great opportunity for them.” – Libby Claycomb
Simple Payment Plan
Our program is $99 to enroll and $99 a month while you are taking your coursework. Once you begin your two-semester field experience your payments will increase. We take the balance of your account and divide it into 8-10 equal interest-free monthly payments during your field experience.
We have partnered with 240 Tutoring ($480 Value) and the Teaching Channel ($120 value) so you have access to both resources as part of your iteach payment plan for teacher certification.
Once you enroll in our program, you can immediately begin your observation hours with Teaching Channel and then quickly start studying for your initial exams so you can get hired. With our program you can begin teaching in a matter of weeks with the support of your supervisor and the iteach team of educators cheering you on to success!
iteach Texas Total Cost
Refer A Friend, Get a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
Got friends that would make awesome teachers? Tell them about iteach and when they enroll, you get a $50 Amazon gift card and they get $50 off their enrollment fee! It’s a win/win. Students need great teachers, so tell a friend, tell your mom, tell everyone!