Texas Teacher Certification: New Certification Rules Effective December 27, 2016
November 18, 2016, the State Board of Education approved seven sets of rules that have been adopted by the State Board of Educator Certification (SBOE). These rules effect Texas Teacher Certification. Highlights of some of the SBEC rule changes cleared by SBOE for adoption include:
- Moving to a two-licensure system of certification for individuals in educator preparation programs while removing the option to demonstrate subject matter knowledge with collegiate hours (more commonly referred to as 24/12).
- There will be a new Intern Certificate, valid for one year and requires the content certification test (and any supplemental test) in the area of hire to be passed prior to eligibility
- The new Probationary Certificate, valid for up to two years will require all certification test content, supplemental, and PPR in the area of hire to be passed prior to eligibility
- Increasing the number of coursework hours required in order to be eligible for an Internship and/or Clinical placement from 80 to 150 hours.
- Increasing the number of observations by the Field Supervisor during the internship.
- Increasing the length of the Clinical placementfrom 12 to 14 weeks.
- Changing the “late hire date” – when intern teachers may be hired by an ISD without meeting the training requirements – from June 15 t0 45 days before the first day of instruction.
- Limiting emergency permits for most areas to one year.
- Specifying that at least one of the require Field Supervisor observations for non-teaching candidates (e.g. superintendent, principal, counselor) must be conducted in person.
- Adding a new fee of $55 per person admitted to an Educator Preparation Program after March 15, 2017, to be reduced to $33 per admitted candidate for 2018-2019 and beyond.
We are Committed to Texas Teacher Certification
iteachTEXAS is committed to proactive being informed about the imminent changes to Texas teacher certification.
Be sure to follow us on Facebook to stay up to date.