Ready to Get Started?
Begin your overview course now while you investigate teaching and prepare your application. When you are ready to enroll, submit your official transcripts and upload your TExES scores. Within 3 days you will be notified of your acceptance into the program. Once accepted you can enroll in the instructional courses immediately. The full breakdown of the teacher certification process is below.
Begin working on our “Professional Learning and the Path to Certification” course while you assemble your application. This is the first step in the teacher certification process.
- Anyone can complete our first course, which provides an in-depth overview of teacher certification and includes a host of additional resources for prospective teachers. If you are interested in teaching, this course is a great way to explore the field and decide if a career as a teacher is right for you.
- Work on this overview course while you prepare your online application.
- Our online courses are designed to prepare anyone to be an excellent teacher. They are self-paced, do not require scheduled class meetings, and you can get started today.
- To start the iteach overview course and begin your application to the iteach Teacher Certification program, pay the Startup fee of $25. You will gain immediate access to your first training course.
- With your $25 startup fee, gain immediate access to the iteachTEXAS library of diagnostic tools to evaluate your likelihood of success on a TExES content exam.
- Pass one TExES content exam as a pre-requisite to program admission.
Click here to review our two minute guide to take the TExES test through the PACT route.
- Why do we require a content test for admission?
Click Here to Find Out
- Once you enroll, attempt any TExES exam up to two times to expand your marketability for your job search.
To learn more about the test and to register, please visit the ETS website by clicking here.
- Why do we require a content test for admission?
What can I teach with my content area?
The Texas Administrative Code details the the categories of classroom teaching certificates. Upon clicking the following link you will select the subject matter to be given the appropriate certification needed to teach the subject.
Which certification area is needed for my teaching subject?
The Texas Administrative Code details the requirements for public school personnel assignment. Upon clicking the following link you will select the grade level and then subject matter to be given the certifications that you will need to hold.
What certification areas does iteachTEXAS offer?
The following areas is a comprehensive list of all areas in which iteachTEXAS is approved to offer certification:
Agricultural Science and Technology (Grades 6-12)
Agriculture, Food & Natural Resources (Grades 6-12)
American Sign Language (Grades EC-12)
Art (Grades EC-12)
Bilingual Education Supplemental-Spanish (Grades NA)
Bilingual Target Language Proficiency Test (BTLPT) (Grades EC -12)
Business and Finance (Grades 6-12)
Chemistry (Grades 7-12)
Computer Science (Grades 8-12)
Core Subjects (Grades 4-8)
Core Subjects (Grades EC-6)
Dance (Grades 8-12)
Deaf and Hard of Hearing (Grades EC-12)
English Language Arts and Reading (Grades 4-8)
English Language Arts and Reading (Grades 7-12)
English Language Arts and Reading/Social Studies (Grades 4-8)
English as a Second Language Supplemental (Grades NA)
Family and Consumer Sciences (Grades 6-12)
Health (Grades EC-12)
Health Science (Grades 6-12)
History (Grades 7-12)
Hospitality, Nutrition and Food Sciences (Grades 8-12)
Human Development and Family Studies (Grades 8-12)
Journalism (Grades 7-12)
Languages Other Than English – Arabic (Grades EC-12)
Languages Other Than English – French (Grades EC-12)
Languages Other Than English – German (Grades EC-12)
Languages Other Than English – Japanese (Grades EC-12)
Languages Other Than English – Latin (Grades EC-12)
Languages Other Than English – Mandarin Chinese (Grades EC-12)
Languages Other Than English – Russian (Grades EC-12)
Languages Other Than English – Spanish (Grades EC-12)
Languages Other Than English – Vietnamese (Grades EC-12)
Life Science (Grades 7-12)
Marketing (Grades 6-12)
Mathematics (Grades 4-8)
Mathematics (Grades 7-12)
Mathematics/Physical Science/Engineering (Grades 6-12)
Mathematics/Science (Grades 4-8)
Music (Grades EC-12)
Physical Education (Grades EC-12)
Physical Science (Grades 6-12)
Physics/Mathematics (Grades 7-12)
Principal (Grades EC-12)
Reserve Officer Training Corps (ROTC) (Grades 6-12)
Science (Grades 4-8)
Science (Grades 7-12)
Social Studies (Grades 4-8)
Social Studies (Grades 7-12)
Special Education (Grades EC-12)
Speech (Grades 7-12)
Technology Applications (Grades EC-12)
Technology Education (Grades 6-12)
Theatre (Grades EC-12)
Trade and Industrial Education (Grades 6-12)
Training with iteachTEXAS begins immediately when you pay the Startup fee and start the overview course, 5000. Once you enroll, complete the following online, competency-based courses at your own pace.
- 5100 – Learning Environments
- 5200 – Learner Development
- 5300 – Planning Instruction and Assessments
- 5400 – Literacy and 21st Century Instruction
- 5500 – Learner Differences and Special Needs
- 5600 – Diverse Populations, English Language Learners and Bilingual Students
- 5800 – Comprehensive Program Review
You will complete a one-year (two semester) paid residency during which time you are employed full time as a teacher in your content field. In this position, you receive the salary and benefits of a first-year teacher.
Complete course 5700, a residency-specific course, during your first year in the classroom.
HOW TO PREPARE FOR RESIDENCY
You must secure your own internship position through the district application/interview process. Prior to interviewing, you are required to be enrolled into the iteachTEXAS Educator Preparation Program with EDTC5300 completed and 30 hours of observation logged.
You may obtain a job placement in any public, charter or TEA recognized private school.
SUPERVISION DURING RESIDENCY
During the residency you will be assigned an iteachTEXAS field supervisor who will make periodic classroom visits and work closely with the campus administration to ensure a successful teaching experience for you.
CLINICAL TEACHING OPTION
Some iteachTEXAS candidates elect to complete their field experience through a clinical teaching placement. This is an unpaid option similar to “student teaching.” The advantage of a clinical teaching placement is that it allows you to earn your Standard Teaching Certificate in as little as six months.
iteachTEXAS offers a 14-week, five day-a-week, full-day clinical teaching option. Our statewide clinical program, which has limited enrollment period in the fall and spring semester, is designed to provide a placement based on content areas in which you have demonstrated mastery. You must understand that during the clinical teaching time you are under the direction of the classroom cooperating teacher. Failure to follow the directions and guidance of the cooperating teacher will result in release from the program.
Clinical placement is secured by iteach on your behalf. You should not contact a school district directly to request a clinical placement.