Testing Prior to Admissions
Apart from the required components within iteachNEVADA (coursework and residency) every future teacher must pass specific exams to demonstrate to schools and the state competency. These exams, called Praxis exams, are administered by the Education Testing Services (ETS.org).
If you take a Praxis in the state of Nevada your scores are automatically sent to the Nevada Department of Education. However, you will need to either email or upload your scores to iteachNEVADA so that our office has record of your passing results.
The Praxis Core exam is a examination that measures basic skills for educators. This exam has three components: Reading, Writing and Math. Each exam must be passed independently. Even though there is three separate exams for each section, you can register for all three via the combined exam, test #5751. More information can be found below:
|Praxis Core Exam Section||Test Code||Passing Score|
|Core Academic Skills for Educators: Reading||5712||156|
|Core Academic Skills for Educators: Writing||5722||162|
|Core Academic Skills for Educators: Mathematics||5732||150|
Praxis Core Exemptions
There are several ways in which to waive the requirement for Praxis Core. The following is an exhaustive list:
- Passed PPST – Prior to the approval of the Praxis Core, the Praxis PPST was the approved exam for basic skills. If you have passed this exam in the past 10 years, we can use the results.
- Passed CBEST – The CBEST exam is the California equivalent of the Praxis Core. We can accept passing scores of this exam. To find out more, please click here for test dates and locations.
- Master’s Degree – Hold a master’s degree (or higher) from a regionally accredited college or university that required the Graduate Record Examination (GRE) to be passed.
- Undergraduate Degree – Hold an undergraduate degree with a 3.00 GPA (or higher) along with the following GRE scores:
- At least 420 or 148 on the verbal portion
- At least 460 or 142 on the quantitative portion, and
- At least 430 or 3.5 on the analytical portion or analytical writing portion
- You can find all testing exceptions here, on the Nevada Department of Education’s website.
Prior to Hire
Prior to being issued your Conditional License, you are required to pass the Praxis Subject exam. This exam covers the specific topics in which you would be expected to teach in the classroom. Here are the areas in which iteachNEVADA currently offers certification. (Note: we are actively seeking to add additional areas, please check back soon!)
|Praxis Subject Exam||Test Code||Passing Score|
|Biological Science (7-12)||5235||145|
|Physical Science (7-12)||5435||152|
|Social Studies (7-12)||5081||152|
|Physical Education (K-12)||5095||164|
Standard Certification Requirements
At this point you have passed (or been exempt from) Praxis Core and you have passed Praxis Subject exam. While teaching there is a final exam you must pass to earn your Standard Certification: Praxis Principles of Learning and Teaching (PLT). Depending on the grade level in which you are teaching, you will take one of the following PLT exams.
|Praxis Principles of Learning and Teaching||Test Code||Passing Score|
|PLT: Grades K-6||5622||160|
|PLT: Grades 7-12||5624||157|
- Praxis (ETS.org)
- 240 Tutoring: https://www.240tutoring.com/praxis/#FindStudyGuide
- Mometrix – Praxis Core: https://www.mo-media.com/sales/praxiscase?gclid=CPu3mtKjq9ACFRCqaQodQnIGnw
- Teacher Test Prep: https://www.teacherstestprep.com/
- Praxis Prep: http://www.praxisprep.com/
Nevada Praxis Exam Testing Locations
|City||Test Center Address||Location|
|Elko||Great Basin College
1500 College Parkway
ELKO, NV 89801
|Las Vegas||Shepherd School of Language
1280 S. Jones Blvd. #120
LAS VEGAS, NV 89146
|Las Vegas||University of Nevada – Las Vegas (UNLV)
4505 S. Maryland Parkway
LAS VEGAS, NV 89154
4505 Maryland Parkway
LAS VEGAS, NV 89154
|Las Vegas||Las Vegas – South Valleyview Boulevard
6625 SOUTH VALLEYVIEW BLVD.
LAS VEGAS, NV 89118
|Las Vegas||Las Vegas
2190 E Pebble Road
LAS VEGAS, NV 89123
5250 Neil Rd
RENO, NV 89502
|Reno||Reno – S. Virginia Street
2295 S. Virginia Street
RENO, NV 89502